Guardians' Records, 1719-1966


Guardians' records may include appointments, oaths, and bonds of guardians; annual accounts; final settlements; civil actions and executions involving guardians; and actions in equity or special proceedings involving the property of a ward's estate. These records also include indigent wards for whom the clerk of superior court served as receiver. If the father of the wards can be determined from the papers, they are filed with the estate of the deceased rather than with the guardians' records.

Descriptions of original guardians' records held by the State Archives are summarized in the online catalog. Partial or complete lists of guardians records also exist for select counties. They may also be available through third party websites such as